A smooth, filling, really tasty and easy to make soup, perfect for cold winter evenings with friends and family or as a quick lunch.This is pretty substantial on its own but is great with a nice soft bread for dipping!
Carrot, Sweet Potato and Coconut Soup (serves 4-6)
Preparation time: 5 minutes Cooking time: 30 minutes
• 2 Onions diced
• 4 cloves Garlic finely chopped/minced
• 1 stalk Celery (optional) chopped into 1cm pieces
• 3 Carrots peeled and chopped into 1cm pieces
• 2 decent sized/3 small Sweet Potatoes chopped into 1″ cubes
• 1/2 tsp ground Turmeric
• 1 tsp ground Cinnamon
• 1 tbsp Vegetable Stock/Bouillon Powder (I use Marigold Bouillon or Kallo cubes)
• 1/2 can Coconut Milk (full-fat)
• Sea Salt to taste
• Ground Cinnamon
• Food Processor or Blender (hand or jug)
1. Add all of the veg with a pinch of sea salt and small splash of water to a good sized pan and place onto a medium-high heat. Stirring regularly, allow the vegetables to sweat for at least 5 minutes – this helps to release their flavours.
2. Once done sweating add boiling water to 1″ above the veg and stir in the turmeric, cinnamon and vegetable stock/bouillon powder. Let the veg boil for 2-3 minutes and then reduce the heat to a simmer and leave for around 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Check the carrot (the hardest veg) is soft enough to bite and, if so, remove pan from the heat. Transfer the soup to your processor/blender (or leave in pan if using hand blender) and blitz until smooth. Add half of the coconut milk and re-blitz for several seconds (I think the oils/fats in the coconut help with the blending).
4. Return soup to the pan and stir in the remaining coconut milk on a low heat.
5. Check soup is warm enough for serving, season with extra salt and/or cinnamon to taste and enjoy!