A quick, tasty and nutritious stir-fry, ideal for a busy evening. It also tastes great cold so keep any leftovers refrigerated in a Tupperware box and use for lunch the following day!
The mixture of broccoli, green beans, kale and spinach provides a handsome dosage of greens whilst the soba noodles and tofu give you a decent amount of carbohydrates and protein. I sometimes add sesame seeds and cashew nuts as a garnish (just before turning off the heat) for a bit of extra flavour and protein!
This recipe calls for marinated/flavoured tofu (nobody wants to eat it plain!).
You can either use my method/recipe for marinating plain tofu yourself (just requires a bit of forward planning) or, if you’re short on time, you can buy pre-marinated versions (such as Cauldron’s or Taifun’s) at most supermarkets and health food stores.
(I recommend setting some time aside to try marinating tofu yourself – simply beacsue this approach works out way cheaper than buying pre-flavoured tofu and it also leaves you with complete creative control over flavour combinations!)
Super Greens & Tofu Stir-Fry with Soba Noodles (serves 2-3)
Preparation time: 10-15 minutes (+marinating time) | Cooking time: 15 minutes
• 2 bundles of Soba Noodles (approx 100g)
• 2 tbsp Oil (vegetable/coconut/sesame/groundnut oil)
• A small head of Broccoli
• 2 handfuls of Green Beans
• 2 handfuls of Spinach Leaves
• 2 handfuls of Kale
• 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
• 3 cloves of Garlic minced
• 2″ of Ginger grated
• 1/2 block/200g marinated Tofu (recipe)
• A sprinkling of Sesame Seeds
• A small handful of Cashew Nuts, whole or crushed
• Wok or large Frying Pan
1. Bring approx 1 litre of water to the boil then add the soba noodles and a pinch of salt. Leave to simmer on a medium heat. (For cooking time check noodle packet or simply taste check after several minutes)
2. Meanwhile bring a wok/pan with a dash of your prefered oil to a high heat and then add the broccoli, green beans and kale. (If using frozen green beans as I often do then soaking in warm water for 1-2 mins before cooking will help speed things up). Ensure everything is cooked evenly and thoroughly by stirring\flipping regularly.
3. Once the greens have begun to soften add the tofu, spinach, garlic, ginger and soy sauce. Continue to stir fry for 2-3 minutes until everything begins to crisp/brown.
4. When the noodles are ready drain and rinse in a colander under warm water. Serve onto/into warm plates/bowls. (I like to drizzle sesame oil and a dash of soy sauce on my noodles for extra taste!)
5. Top noodles with stir-fry – add garnish if using – and enjoy!